Last Saturday, I was watching one of my favorite design shows, The High Low Project with one of my favorite designers, Sabrina Soto and saw this Jonathan Adler Mod Love pillow used in the high-end version of the nursery she designed for a young couple. I was immediately smitten with the pillow until I researched it on-line and found out that it cost $175.00.
Here’s the pillow if you didn’t see the show or aren’t familiar with it.
While I love me some Jonathan Adler, I just couldn’t bite on that price so I decided to create my own version of it.
Here’s my pillow which when it was all said and done only cost me $8.00! WhooHoo!
Wanna know how I made it?? Here’s all the deets.
Gather the following supplies:
- Neutral Color Pillow—17” x 17”—Mine came from Wal-Mart and was only $6.00
- Felt—one piece of red and one piece of purple. One sheet from Hobby Lobby is .29 cents
- Hot Glue Gun of your could use fabric glue too!
- Ribbon–Of course I used ribbon from my favorite ribbon source, May Arts Ribbon. You can view and purchase the entire May Arts ribbon line on Amazon.com.
You’ll need three different colors/styles. This is what I used:
- FN27—5/8” Twill in Yellow—You’ll need 45” total
- QH46—1.5” Grosgrain in Apple Green—You’ll need 11 ½”
- WFF46—1/2” Grosgrain Circles in Apple Green—You’ll need approx. 62” for a 17 x 17 pillow.
The How To:
Note: After you cut your ribbon pieces as outlined below, run the cut ends of your ribbon over the lighter flame to seal the fibers and prevent fraying.
First, create the ribbon border around the edge of your pillow using you’re the grosgrain circle ribbon. Adhere it with your hot glue.
Cut 3 pieces of yellow ribbon—9” and 3 pieces 6”. Following the layout in the photo, lay the three long pieces vertically towards the left edge of the pillow and glue in place. Lay the small pieces horizontally and glue in place.
- Cut a heart from your red felt and glue down.
- Cut a 11 ½” piece of your wide apple green ribbon, form a ‘v’ and glue in place.
- Cut an ‘e’ out of your purple felt and glue it in place above the ‘v’.
- Stand back and admire!
The Look for Less: PRICELESS!
Have you knocked off any designer pieces lately?